Product Profile: Smooth, bluish black D-shaped shell.
- Mussels are native to PEI and the mussel seed is collected using cultivated collector lines.
- PEI Mussels are filter feeders and obtain all their food from the natural aquadic environment.
- PEI Mussels are healthy, nutritious, and are rich in protein and minerals; low in fat, cholesterol and sodium.
PEI Mussel Industry >>
The Prince Edward Island mussel industry is Canada’s top producer and exporter of rope cultured blue mussels. PEI has earned its reputation for high quality standards based on the diligence and pride of Island growers, processors and industry stakeholders.
PEI blue mussels grow naturally in our nutrient-rich waters, and are self-sustained with no feed or additives. Using the longline system, our farming process consists of naturally collected mussel seed being placed in mesh sleeves which are suspended in the water column. This longline system provides PEI mussels with:
- There are approximately 130 mussel growers on PEI who farm 11,000 surface acres.
- More than 41 million pounds (18,597 tonnes) of mussels were produced last year.
- PEI accounts for 80 per cent of Canadian mussel production.
- PEI's aquaculture industry contributes over $60 million to the Island economy, with more than $11 million paid in salaries annually.
After 12 to 24 months, the mussels have grown to around 50mm (2") and are ready for harvest. They are immediately transported to federally-inspected processing plants where they are stripped, de-clumped, washed and graded. The mussels are inspected and packed for shipping to markets across North America.
- Greater access to natural plankton, their natural food source
- Cleaner shells and grit-free flesh
- Protection from bottom-dwelling predators
The result is a mussel renowned worldwide for its superior flavour and consistent high quality. This is assured by the industry’s advanced technology and through joint shellfish monitoring programs conducted by the provincial and federal governments. This commitment to quality ensures that PEI mussels remain a highly recognized product with a major share in the world market place.